Alpha-Warriors

Alpha warriors...the mightiest gamers around...join and we'll see if you're worthy...

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» We need a steam IDs subforum
Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:49 pm by Alpha Lord

» For sale: Retro Arcade Machine
Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:01 pm by FlutterShutterFly

» [SOLD] 3 xbox 360 bundle packs
Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:13 pm by FlutterShutterFly

» WOO! Summer has OFFICIALLY arrived! :D
Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:57 pm by The Tankinator

» 2013 gen console - Which will be the best?
Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:46 pm by FlutterShutterFly

» QI - turning dumbness into logical intelligence
Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm by FlutterShutterFly

» post something random here even if you dont want to
Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm by The Tankinator

» Forum Rules ((Read This))
Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 am by FlutterShutterFly

» Where's the PC forum
Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:22 am by FlutterShutterFly

» Make an art forum gallery does not work well
Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:21 am by FlutterShutterFly

» Reports that the 3DS is giving some people major headaches and hurting their eyes
Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 am by FlutterShutterFly

» The new PS Vita
Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 pm by Gamr_dude234

» Crysis 2 AI
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:26 pm by Alpha Lord

» Testing flash - please watch
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:23 pm by Alpha Lord

» You don't need the scroller
Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:16 pm by Gamr_dude234

Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 14 registered users
The newest registered user is letgera

Our users have posted a total of 608 messages in 213 subjects

Share | 

Earth-like planet found outside our solar system

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Tankinator

Alpha Level
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
Level:
2/100  (2/100)
Race: Marine

PostSubject: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:45 am

A team of astronomers has confirmed the discovery of a planet which they claim possesses the most Earth-like conditions beyond our own world. Skip related content

The rocky planet, which is three times the size of Earth's mass, could be the first ever to be found outside our solar system with the potential to support human life, American astronomers have said.

Spotted by scientists lying in the 'Goldilocks Zone' of the Milky Way twenty light years away, the planet is said to have gravity similar to Earth and could well be capable of supporting life.

The 'Goldilocks Zone' is a region in space where surface temperatures reach an average high of -12C and are neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water to form oceans, lakes and rivers.

Chances for life on this planet are 100 percent, according to Dr Steven Vogt who led the study at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Dr Vogt said: "Our findings offer a very compelling case for a potentially habitable planet. The fact that we were able to detect this planet so quickly and so nearby tells us that planets like this must be really common."

He added: "The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably in the order of 10 or 20 percent, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that's a large number. There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy."

The planet orbits a nearby red dwarf star, called Gliese 581, in the constellation of Libra and its short distance to the star means that a total year is just thirty-seven days long and its seasons last only a few days.

The exciting discovery comes after eleven years of observations at the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii and three years after astronomers found a similar, slightly less habitable planet around Gliese 581.

However, the planet is so far away that a spacecraft travelling close to the speed of light would take twenty years to complete the journey.

FlutterShutterFly
Site Artist
Site Artist

Alpha Level
HP:
250/300  (250/300)
Level:
11/100  (11/100)
Race: Neurological Soldier 2

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm

20 light-years of travel.

It's a very very long journey, but our dream of colonizing other planets may become a reality.

We humans, are capable of greatness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://proeliatorphasmatis.creazaforum.com/
Gamr_dude234

Alpha Level
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
Level:
3/100  (3/100)
Race: Pokémon

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:26 am

Well, first off we have no idea how intelligent or evolved they are and plus how do we know if they aren't already watching us with a satellite, as there is hundreds of satellites that orbit Earth.

Gamr_dude234

The Tankinator

Alpha Level
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
Level:
2/100  (2/100)
Race: Marine

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 am

There are millions upon millions planets, in thousands upon thousands of solar systems and god knows how many Galaxy's there are, and it is highly unlikly that we are the only 'living' beings in the universe.

I think Aliens are under the sea, since we Humans have only explored 5% of our planet... we have the land under the sea yet to explore AND, how did humans evolve? How did we learn how to build? Explain the Pyramids, I'm sorry but this Bible talk is a load of poop... It is someone talking about their Imaginary friend and what he would accomplish if he was around, I reckon there is one gigantic effing spaceship hidden in the deep sea. Remember World War II, you had planes that would just... vanish. Just dissapear without a trace. These Aliens we might have might have been around for thousands of years because man couldn't have evolved on their own, PLUS back in history there was a civilisation (I can't remember what they were called) and they was so much more advanced than the rest of the human population and yet, one day they just became extinct.

It's these Aliens, they are here and hiding right under our noses.

FlutterShutterFly
Site Artist
Site Artist

Alpha Level
HP:
250/300  (250/300)
Level:
11/100  (11/100)

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Gamr_dude234 wrote:
Well, first off we have no idea how intelligent or evolved they are and plus how do we know if they aren't already watching us with a satellite, as there is hundreds of satellites that orbit Earth.

Gamr_dude234

That's what we don't know; It may be in it's first stages of evolution - If that is the case, then we shouldn't worry, because it took a trillion years to form the first vertebrate.
Back to top Go down
FlutterShutterFly
Site Artist
Site Artist

Alpha Level
HP:
250/300  (250/300)
Level:
11/100  (11/100)

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 pm

RaZer Bullet wrote:
There are millions upon millions planets, in thousands upon thousands of solar systems and god knows how many Galaxy's there are, and it is highly unlikly that we are the only 'living' beings in the universe.

I think Aliens are under the sea, since we Humans have only explored 5% of our planet... we have the land under the sea yet to explore AND, how did humans evolve? How did we learn how to build? Explain the Pyramids, I'm sorry but this Bible talk is a load of poop... It is someone talking about their Imaginary friend and what he would accomplish if he was around, I reckon there is one gigantic effing spaceship hidden in the deep sea. Remember World War II, you had planes that would just... vanish. Just dissapear without a trace. These Aliens we might have might have been around for thousands of years because man couldn't have evolved on their own, PLUS back in history there was a civilisation (I can't remember what they were called) and they was so much more advanced than the rest of the human population and yet, one day they just became extinct.

It's these Aliens, they are here and hiding right under our noses.

Well, I read the whole thing, It's not very believeable; But it's not crazy either.

There was the legend of Atlantis, and underwater city that was never heard from again. It was described as a "Metropolis", maybe this is the civilization you were trying to elaborate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earth-like planet found outside our solar system   

Back to top Go down

Earth-like planet found outside our solar system
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1